The document cloning feature is another way you can work with your team toward building inter-coder/rater reliability. Cloning a document simply creates a duplicate of the document that each individual team member can code on their own. This option is best for groups who wish team members to independently code a document and then manually compare to the work of others.
To clone a document:
- Open the document to be cloned
- Click on the "Edit Media" gear icon in the upper right corner
- This opens a window where you can edit the title of the media, write a description, and delete or clone the media file. Select "Clone Media" on the bottom of the window
- Click 'Yes' to confirm
To rename the cloned document you will follow the same steps:
- Click the 'Edit Media' gear icon in the upper right corner
- Provide a new title for the copy (we recommend an informative naming convention (i.e., Document A Title_Team Member 1 Name)
- Repeat the cloning and renaming process so each team member has a copy
- Each team member applies codes to their own copy
- The results can be exported to a word document or Excel file for discussion and comparison by selecting the piece of media and selecting the "Export" button in the upper right corner of the screen.
Results can also be compared and discussed with the team via computer/screen share.
Tip: While discussing and comparing coded-excerpts, decide if you want a designated person to be editing a finalized version of the data in Dedoose with the correct/applicable codes you decide on as a group