Data Sets Overview
Dedoose has several data filtering options available to help you explore specific aspects of your project in complex ways. Most analytical needs will be fully served by using the auto-generated and interactive data visualizations available in the Dedoose Analyze Workspace. However, for those wishing to focus their analysis on subsets of data, Dedoose offers powerful data filtering capabilities. The subsequent guides outline how to filter data by Media, Descriptors, Codes, and Users.
Data Set Workspace
Data sets are all managed (saved, revised, and cleared) from the Data Set workspace, though they can also be created from the Excerpts and Media workspace.
Opening the Data Sets workspace gives access to the Data Selector window. The Data Selector window has the following features:
Tab Dividers: Tabs for managing Data Sets and for filtering Descriptors, Media, Users, or Codes are located in the upper left corner of the window.
The Data Set panel
This panel gives access to the following sub-panels
- Current Data Set panel: displays the amount of active data in the current set
- Current Set Excerpts panel: displays a database of excerpts in the current dataset.
- Saved Data Sets panel: displays all previous datasets saved in the project, including who created them and when they were created.
1. Creating and activating a data set or a filter only impacts your own view of the data - not your collaborators'. But if you save the dataset, your collaborators will see the saved set and be be able to load it.
2. After a filter has been activated, you will notice a new icon – a funnel - appear in the upper right corner of various spaces in Dedoose. This funnel allows you to toggle the filter on and off, and thus to quickly move from viewing the filtered dataset to viewing all your data and vice versa. This is a great tool for teams who are coding the same media early in the project and want to compare code applications.
The guides in this section of the Learning Center detail how to filter by each element: